Thursday, March 15, 2018

Surgeries for Jill - Feeling Like a Pin Cushion


I have long been so grateful that I have been able to enjoy quite good health through the years.  But the last twelve months have changed that a bit.

I had known that I wasn't seeing really well, and the eye doctor before we left Atlanta had told me that I was getting some cataracts but didn't need surgery yet.  After Rob had his surgery in October, I decided to have my eyes checked and learned that I needed surgery as well.  So Dr. Rupp removed both my cataracts in February, two weeks apart.  I was told that without a special lens in my right eye, I wouldn't be able to see 20/20 after surgery, but I couldn't afford it.  Thankfully, I am seeing 20/20 in both eyes and now only need glasses for reading.  (By the way, I didn't have a problem having to wear glasses all the time afterwards.  I just needed to be able to actually SEE with them!)


First the right and then the left - lovely flowers from Bryan

Last spring, I got cellulitis in my left calf that didn't clear up for many weeks on antibiotics.  And then there was still a brownish-red mark there.  The end of November, it began to get inflamed again, and this time I was sent to a vascular surgeon who diagnosed that my Great Saphenous vein had failed.  The blood wasn't able to get back up from my ankle and that was causing the leakage into my tissues.  So I went in for out-patient surgery where they made 36 tiny incisions to remove the vein in little pieces.  Although they were sealed with steri-strips, they have taken a long time to heal, and there are, after a month, still a number of hard red spots and bruises.  But I hope that this will continue to heal.  At least, I am no longer having the pain on my calf, although the brownish "stain" will probably remain.  








No comments:

Post a Comment